What is search engine optimization (SEO)? In simple terms, SEO is a method of strategies and techniques, which is used to maximize the number of visitors on a particular website by obtaining a good rank on the search results page of search engines like Google or Bing especially when users are looking for related keywords.
A lot of SEO professionals claim that with the amount of traffic moving through search engines like Google, SEO is unnecessary. That could not be further from the truth because according to a 2014 Forbes article, investing in SEO can increase first-year profits for a start-up company by up to 30 percent.
With that being said, marketing is far from dead and will continue to thrive in the foreseeable future. So why is search engine optimization so valuable to newer businesses? Here are some reasons.
- Social Media: We live in a world of social media like Twitter, Instagram and Facebook, and search engines are now built around these applications. Companies that have a higher social media ranking appear first on search engines. The two can be developed hand in hand to maximize market penetration. SEO companies in Mississauga, concentrate on increasing a website’s social media presence to increase its relevance in related online searches. In the modern world having an online presence is not enough, it has to be a significant presence that leaves behind a lasting impression.
- Professionalism: As many as 80 to 90 percents of people nowadays Google a company or a product before choosing to make a purchase or use a service. Having a website, which is easy to find and has strong user content comes off as very professional. First impressions almost never change and having an image of professionalism and efficiency goes a long way in creating a successful business.
- Cost Effective: An average person has to view a billboard 17 times for the product being advertised to register. A television commercial unless it is really catchy has to be viewed about half a dozen times. Compared to this focusing on your SEO is a far more cost-effective marketing strategy. Companies like 1st Rank Marketing offer the free consultation to business owners and have competitive pricing plans. Since SEO is an ongoing process and with times have changed, you have to change your content and marketing strategies to stay relevant. If you are on a tight budget and are fairly competent, you can just keep a good content writer on hand and learn the tricks of the trade from a couple of visits to professionals. This way you can keep your website up to date yourself. It is a great way for new businesses to reach potential customers without investing huge sums of funds in ineffective advertising plans.
- Mobile Data Usage: In 2015 data usage by mobile devices in North America was almost equal to data usage by desktop devices. This is a significant change in the pattern of consumption. More and more people are using handheld devices to surf the internet. As a result, cell phone plans are being geared towards including better data plans. Over half of this renewed usage was associated with social media and online search engines. Search engines like Google and Yahoo are pretty much the number one source of information for most people. They hear a name or think of a product, their first instinct is to look for it on social media or a search engine. In a world like this not developing your brand’s SEO is akin to suicide.
- Competitors: Face reality, your competitors are doing it. Wayne Gretzky once said, ‘You miss a hundred percent of the shots you don’t take’. The market penetration of SEO at this point is irrelevant. All your competitors are doing it, it is more effective than radio or television commercials and having your name out on the web will not hurt your chances. If you have better content and a more user-friendly website than a competitor, of course, that will have a positive effect on a potential customer’s psyche.